Moratorium #OnceUponAFuture: The #WhiteMirror Edition
What we got right:
1. We found a great location. Upload coworking worked well because we had space and desks that were not occupied.
2. We got lots of donations for food and other items. We found a non profit fiscal sponsor and started early. It was a lot of time and effort. Finding a few bigger sponsors would have been easier though maybe not as fun. We spent $3500 total and only did snakcs and the firts and last meals.
3. Hand made trophies were a hit. Medals of honor were good too but teams got so big we couldn’t give them to everyone. Would have been good to give each and every participant a medal of honor as they left.
4. We got a pro photographer which was great. Would have been even better to have shooting the creation of the projects rather than the talks.
5. We got a really great diverse group of people that built up comraderie and supported each other the whole time.
6. Was good to have the volunteers in t-shirts. They can be gotten for around $3 and spray painted with a stencil (one color recommended)
7. We had a good follow up with sponsors.
What we need improvement on:
- We needed a better communication platform for participants during the event. Something like a slack channel would have been good.
- Too long on the speakers for the start – should be short and sweet.
- The brainstorming session was confusing.
- We got 150 people to sign up, 50 cancelled ahead, 55 were no show, 55 showed up. This was hard on food planning. It was the first time, and it is a long weekend for busy people. Is a one day event better? One week event with Saturday and Saturday starts? Or do we just always calculate a 40% no show and keep it a long grungy weekend.
- We could have done a much better job filming the talks and projects. Someone should also be dedicated to do that with a good camera and good sound.
- We forgot to take a big picture at the start with everyone.
- We could have recruited more sound and VFX people. We were VERY lucy to have T.Lin and Zach.
- We did a terrible job getting peoples projects in, organized and up on YouTube. 🙁 Note: Organizers should not get roped into making projects. LOL.
- We needed a better system for lost and found and cable labeling.
- We needed to end the event on time.
Comments to add. Do so below or here in the feedback form.